Enquire Now

Student Visa Application Process

International Students

Will I Be Allowed To Study In Australia?

When a student enters Australia for the purpose of study, the student will be allowed to have a student visa under certain conditions set out by the Department of Home Affairs. These conditions take into account various factors including your level of English language proficiency, your academic record, your passport and the specific country that you are applying from.


Please note that the Australian Government is now screening most student visa applicants using the Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) Test.
Please ensure you read and understand this test so that you can answer the screening questions.
Note: The vast majority of students pass the screening questions especially if they have read the information in the below link. See

Genuine Temporary Entrant

More Information

To find more on what you need to show to get your student visa see

Studying in Australia
Department of Home Affairs
  1. Select your country and course of study (for example English) and click on "continue with your visa". The courses offered at Academia are either An English Language Course (ELICOS) or Vocational Education and Training for our Certificate to Advanced Diploma courses.
  2. Then select "3. Eligibility".
  3. Then click into 'student" and
  4. Select "financial requirements".

Assessment Levels:

International Students have different entry level requirements depending on your passport and country of origin.
Your application for a student Visa will be assessed according to your assessment level. Your Assessment Level ( 1 to 3 ) is determined by the passport that you hold and the education sector of your principle course of study.

Applying For a Student Visa (Detailed Description Of The Process)

If you intend to study for 3 months or more, you will need to apply for a student visa. You must enrol for full-time study and pay compulsory medical insurance (OSHC). Students with a country assessment level 3 (refer above in the "Select your Country" menu under "Passport Country Selection") you will need to obtain a Pre-Visa Assessment (PVA) before confirmation of enrolment. After arrival, student visa holders can apply for work permission from the Department of Home Affairs.

Note: student visa holders can work up to 20 hours a week.



Read the Applying for a Student Visa information form issued by the Australian government.

Applying for a Student Visa information form

Student visa subclass and assessment level

Identify your student visa subclass and assessment level from the Student Visa Subclasses page and the Overseas Student Program - Assessment Levels information form on the Department of Home Affairs website.

Overseas Student Program - Assessment Levels

Complete Form 157A

Complete Form 157A - Application for a student (temporary) visa. This form is also available at your nearest Australian Embassy or Consulate.

Form 157A - Application for a student (temporary) visa

Assessment Level Requirements

According to your Assessment Level provide all information relating to:

  1. Employment details
  2. English Proficiency (IELTS score or equivalent)
  3. Education
  4. Financial support details
  5. Health requirements (Medical examination)
  6. Character details
  7. Accommodation / welfare arrangements for students under 18 years of age
  8. Payment details


When applying for your visa, you will also be asked to provide the following documents:

  1. Your passport
  2. 4 passport-sized photographs
  3. Your electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) that we will send you (refer to point 9 in the International Student Application process section)

Successful application

If your application is successful or unsuccessful contact Academia to let us know and to assist you with travel arrangements if your application has been successful.