Academic English – Essential Training and Skills for Professionals

The best way to improve your English, like any language, is to live among and converse with native speakers. This is why so many international students choose to live and study in Australia. The best thing is, whatever your level of English, an English school will have a programme to meet your needs.

Do you already have intermediate English language skills?
Are you thinking about enrolling in an English-speaking university?
Ar you a professional who is about to start a training programme?
Are you seeking professional registration?
Are you planning to migrate to an English-speaking country?

If you answered ‘yes’ to two or more of these questions, then it’s time for you to embark on an academic English course. The reason is simple, educational institutes, employers and government immigration agencies all require proof of English language skills as part of their recruitment or admittance procedures.

In addition, English is used in everyday business situations in English-speaking countries. These situations include meetings, presentations and negotiations. Taking an academic English course will hone your communication skills and help you excel in your workplace.

Academic English Courses

There are two main types of Academic English courses offered in Australia.

1. IELTS (International English Language Testing System)

IELTS is recognised internationally for study, work and immigration purposes. More than one million people a year are now using IELTS to seek opportunities throughout the English-speaking world.

The IELTS includes speaking, listening, reading and writing modules and is offered in two formats.

  • Academic: Aimed at students wanting to study at university level and for those seeking professional registration
  • General: Emphasis on basic survival skills in a broad social and educational context. Suitable for candidates who want to attend secondary education or undertake work experience or training programs not at university level. Also ideal for people wishing to migrate to an English-speaking country.

2. EAP (English for Academic Purposes)

The EAP course is an intensive programme designed to equip students with the English language skills needed for tertiary study in Australia. It is suitable for those who wish to,

  • Enrol in a tertiary institution
  • Study academic English prior to commencement of a test preparation course, for e.g. IELTS, TOEL
  • Improve both their academic and general English language skills

There are over a hundred English schools to choose from in the state of Victoria alone. Keep in mind however, that only 20 of these schools are full members of English Australia.

What is English Australia?

It is the peak industry body and professional association for colleges providing English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS). It is also accredited by the National ELT Accreditation Scheme (NEAS).

Amongst these English schools is Academia International. Yes, Academia International is on that list alongside bigger players such as Monash University and RMIT English. It may not be big but Academia International offers quality training with profession-specific modules at a fraction of the price.

There are many factors you should consider when taking up an academic English course. Most of them have been discussed in this article and hopefully they will help you to make the right decision by picking a course and a school that will meet your every need.

Leave a Reply