Being able to speak English fluently opens doors around the world. If you have a strong grasp of the English language, you will be able to pursue travel, educational and employment opportunities in Australia and beyond. Yes, learning a new language can be scary. But you can take heart from the fact that millions of non-English speaking people have successfully learned English as a second language and use it at work or in school, both at home and abroad. You can do it too!
Where to Start
There are several tried and tested methods of learning the language. The first way is through self-study. There are computer software and online lessons readily available for beginners. These courses are structured to allow students to study by themselves at their own place.
Having said that, the best way to learn a new language is to be immersed in it. Most major universities offer English as a second language course and there are many private English schools that specialise in teaching English.
Top 5 Reasons to Study English in Australia
Australia is a popular destination amongst international students to study English. The number of students who choose to study here increases every year. Here are the top 5 reasons students choose to learn English in Australia:
- There are over 240 schools found around the country and they range in size and specialty. There is a school for any preference.
- The English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS) system is in place throughout the country. Most schools are accredited by ELICOS, guaranteeing that you will receive approved curriculum from qualified teachers.
- Wide range of quality programmes that cater to specific learning goals. You can study the language because you intend to travel or for career purposes. Programmes offered range in length and depth.
- English programmes in Australia can be completed in a range of timeframes, from as little as 12 weeks!
- Flexible learning programmes. Learning a language extends beyond the classroom. Thus, some programmes include off campus activities. It is important for you to learn the language through interaction with native speakers.
Australian university programmes may offer excellent teaching but they often lack the personal aspect of teaching English. You may want to consider enrolling in a private school. Here are some reasons why:
- Smaller classes: Greater interaction with your classmates and undivided attention from your teacher.
- Opportunities to learn English at a number of cultural and educational venues: Immersion in the language by interacting with native speakers in natural settings.
- Highly skilled educators from different professional backgrounds: Seasoned professionals who will tailor their styles to individual needs.
- Usually less expensive that university programmes.
- These schools can be connected to home stay programmes.
You are almost ready to embark on your adventure. First, here are some pointers on how to pick a school.
- Choose a school with accreditation
- Make sure the school offers regular assessments
- Pick a school that has qualified and experience teachers
If you keep all these tips in mind, you